Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Krystle Ballatore

Monday June 20th 2011 
     I have had a wonderful two days so far! I have made many aweaome friends already. I am inspired by everyone's personallities. On Monday our group went to down town Greenville and met with Jil Littlejohn and Amy Ryberg Doyle. They are both very sucessful and inspiring women. Meeting them was a wonderful experience. Later, us girls explored downtown together. Then met back up with the boys for pizza and ice cream. It was a ball!
Tuesday June 21st 2011
     Today was a life changing experience for me. Our group went to the rehab/helping hand church in Greenville. The building is part of the "homeless triangle"(salvation army, soup kitchen, and the church). My favorite part of the day was going to the Frazee Dream Center. It is truly an amazing place. If/ When i move to Greenville, I would love to become involved there. I worked with two children specifically; Ajarie and Tamiyea. These underprivileged, African American children sadly, are behind educationally and are in need of this summer program. Ajarie was an... average reader for her age and was good at adding and subtracting. However, unfortunately Tamiyea was not as gifted. The highlight of my entire trip so far was experienced at this summer camp with these two children. Ajarie struggled with the word "punctual" in chapter one of her book. I corrected her, helped her sound out the word, and then she announciated the word correctly. Then... in chapter two she rapidly read a sentence which had the word "punctual" in it. She did not struggle or hesitate with the word, like she had once before. Tamiyea struggled with smaller words such as "stripes" and the name "Elizabeth". However, surprisingly enough, Tamiya listened attentively and was also able to comprehend and announciate the -once challenging words- that I helped them to understand. I was highly impressed with the children there and the program itself. The entire group of children was loving and respectful. Hopefully one day these children will grow up to be great contributors to society in the future.     

No comments:

Post a Comment